Ball Janik LLP was founded in 1982 with six lawyers and a four-person support staff in Portland, Oregon. Since our firm’s inception, we have expanded our capabilities, our professionals, and geographic footprint. Formerly known as Ball Janik & Novack, the firm focused primarily on real property and land use. Over the years, we have grown to include an insightful team of 30-plus attorneys.
In addition to its growing list of practice areas, Ball Janik has expanded geographically, opening offices in Orlando in January 2014, Miami in June 2019, and Sarasota, Florida April 2022. Our Florida offices are well-known for representing owners with construction and design, construction defect, real estate litigation, and insurance recovery matters.
Our team boasts a combined six centuries of experience, and capabilities including:
Ball Janik takes a team approach to client representation. We leverage our combined professional skills to solve problems and achieve results for clients.
Our clients include:
- Large and small businesses
- State, municipal and local governments
- Associations and coalitions
- Schools and universities
Ball Janik LLP’s success and integrity have repeatedly made it one of Oregon’s “Most Admired Professional Firms,” according to the Portland Business Journal’s survey results of CEOs throughout the region.
ADVANCING CLIENTS’ GOALS SINCE 1982
The founding partners’ vision was to establish a firm focused on performing high quality professional work and advancing clients’ objectives, believing that if those two elements were consistently present, the firm would succeed. We have prospered because of the quality of our representation and the confidence that our clients show in us.
Conscious of our roots as a small group of like-minded lawyers and staff, Ball Janik has carried forward the informality and collegiality of its early days. Doors are open. Discussions are encouraged. Decisions are reached on a consensus basis. Lasting client relationships are valued as the ultimate testament to the firm’s work. Each person working at Ball Janik understands that in all of our efforts, we are continuing to work on advancing our clients’ interests.
Our mission is twofold: to perform high quality professional work that advances the interests of our clients, and to cultivate a firm culture that ensures our professionals and staff will deliver on that promise. Lasting client relationships prove we are fulfilling our mission.
Ball Janik LLP is dedicated to finding and implementing the most effective and efficient solutions to our clients’ challenges. We are lean, aggressive and entrepreneurial. We adhere to high standards of ethical conduct and professional courtesy. We are selective in our pursuit of clients and loyal in serving them for the long term.
Ball Janik LLP provides opportunities for individuals to engage cooperatively in a challenging, stimulating, and financially rewarding practice. We succeed by creating a sense of common enterprise among our professionals and staff, who embody a client-focused approach to problem solving.
Thus, we reward creativity, problem solving skills, efficiency, responsiveness, professionalism, and other attributes that build client loyalty and promote the firm’s image.
We maintain a hospitable and personally engaging working environment, characterized by high standards of courtesy, strong communications, and constructive feedback.
Ball Janik LLP encourages our employees to participate constructively in the community, and we provide recognition of that involvement. We also recognize that, in order to sustain a satisfying and productive career, each individual must balance the demands of work with family, personal interests and outside commitments.
STRENGTH IN DIVERSITY
At Ball Janik LLP, we are committed to increasing diversity both in our firm and in the legal profession. We believe that being a diverse law firm enhances our perspective, increases our understanding of our clients’ goals, and helps us provide practical legal advice that meets our clients’ needs. We welcome diversity in race and ethnicity, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, social or economic status, marital status, veteran status, physical abilities as well as generational diversity, backgrounds and viewpoints. Diversity makes us stronger.
Our commitment is reflected in our actions. We are proud:
- To focus our time, attention, and resources on internal committees such as Ball Janik’s Diversity Committee and Women’s Leadership Initiative.
- To support our local and state bar associations’ efforts to enhance the diversity of the legal profession. We are proud members of the LGBT Bar Association. We have joined many of our peers in signing the Multnomah Bar Association Statement of Diversity Principles, which highlights our commitment to developing diversity in Oregon’s legal community.
- To be involved in and support diversity-centered trade associations and professional development programs in Florida, Oregon, and nationwide.
- To sponsor the activities of the Oregon State Bar’s nationally recognized Opportunities for Law in Oregon, a program of the OSB Affirmative Action Program that seeks to recruit and retain minority law students in Oregon, as well as the 2008 National Conference of the National Association of Women Judges.
Our lawyers have volunteered their time to the OSB Affirmative Action Committee and the Multnomah Bar Association Committee to Enhance Equality in the Profession. We encourage and support our lawyers who participate in these activities.
- To support financially, through community service and/or pro-bono work, organizations such as Self Enhancement Inc., Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Oregon, Cascade AIDS Project and The Urban League.
- To support and encourage our lawyers to participate in Oregon Women Lawyers, Commercial Real Estate Women, National Association of Women in Construction, Central Florida Association of Women Lawyers, and Queen’s Bench.
- To provide paid parental leave for all our full-time employees.
The firm’s Management Committee and practice group leaders have primary leadership roles in our diversity initiatives. By embracing diversity and inclusion, we strengthen our service to clients by better reflecting their workforces and values, as well as the values of the communities in which we live and work.